NOTE: GrowthBeat tickets go up $200 this Friday at 5pm Pacific. VentureBeat is gathering the best and brightest in modern digital marketing to help declutter the landscape, simplify the functions, clarify the goals, and point the way to success. Get the full scoop here, and register by Friday to save!
Fresh off its London launch, location-sharing service Foursquare revealed the rest of its big-name roster of angel investors. The company raised $1.35 million in a first round of funding last month from Union Square Ventures and O’Reilly AlphaTech Ventures.
Foursquare is one of the few breakouts from a pack of startups eager to take advantage of smartphones and GPS to build location-based social networks and services. Foursquare was designed differently in that it’s more of a game, where people compete to voluntarily “check-in” to different venues.
So who are they?
- Joshua Schachter, founder of social bookmarking service Delicious
- Alex Rainert, who co-founded Dodgeball with Foursquare founder Dennis Crowley and later sold it Google (where it then languished)
- Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter
- Kevin Rose, founder of Digg
- SV Angels LLC, prolific angel investor Ron Conway’s firm
- Chad Stoller, a brand-marketing expert who came up with the idea to have people compete to be “mayor” of different places
- Sergio Salvatore, a music and technology entrepreneur.
We're studying digital marketing compensation: how much companies pay CMOs, CDOs, VPs of marketing, and more
, with ChiefDigitalOfficer. Help us out by filling out the survey
, and we'll share the results with you.