Want to master the CMO role? Join us for GrowthBeat Summit on June 1-2 in Boston
, where we'll discuss how to merge creativity with technology to drive growth. Space is limited and we're limiting attendance to CMOs and top marketing execs. Request your personal invitation here
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is by all accounts likely to be the best-selling video game of all time. It could top 7 million units worldwide on its first day alone, an incredible achievement despite the fact that the economy is still in a pretty weak state.
Here are the biggest sales records in the game industry for opening day sales. At the bottom, we’ve also included a list of the biggest first-week sales for games in a chart from VGchartz. (Note unit and dollar sales don’t correlate due to price differences).
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 — 4.7 million copies in North America and UK alone, $320 million, November 2009. Infinity Ward/Activision Blizzard. (Estimated worldwide day one sales: 7 million). Xbox 360, PS 3, PC.
2. Grand Theft Auto IV – 3.6 million copies, $310 million, May 2008. Rockstar Games/Take-Two Interactive. Xbox 360, PC, Ps 3.
3. Halo 3 — 3 million copies, $170 million in U.S., September 2007. Bungie/Microsoft. Xbox 360
4. Halo 2 — 2.4 million copies, $125 million, November 2004. Bungie/Microsoft. Xbox 360
5. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King — 2.8 million copies, $112 million, November 2008. Blizzard Entertainment/Activision Blizzard. PC
VentureBeat’s VB Insight team is studying email marketing tools.
Chime in here, and we’ll share the results