And so ends our eavesdropping at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo. For more E3 2011 quotes, see part one.
"I haven't slept all of May. I was talking code to my girlfriend in my sleep. She doesn't understand code."
– Developer Jonathan Mak, co-creator of the upcoming Sound Shapes for the PS Vita, on getting his demo in playable shape for E3.
"Let’s see, there is that time I created a human being (i.e. my daughter). That’s pretty manly. Except the actual creation part was all my wife’s work. But I was the one who gave her half the instructions!"
–Tim Schafer, president of Trenched developer Double Fine, after being asked about the manliest thing he's ever done.
"Wrex can't keep his hands off a fertile female."
– Female Krogan in the Mass Effect 3 demo.
"I've been stealing from Aliens for years."
– Gearbox President Randy Pitchford, half-joking about the influence the sci-fi classic has had on the games he's created. His team is currently working on Aliens: Colonial Marines, which takes place after the events of the movie.
"It'll be really awkward if he has to jump over some people to smash your face in."
– Pitchford letting the E3 theater-room audience know what might happen if his security guy catches anyone attempting to film the Colonial Marines demo.
"Oh fuck yeah."
– Pitchford, when the demo driver picked up the iconic pulse rifle for the first time in Colonial Marines. We've never met such a huge fan of Aliens before — Pitchford quoted the movie several times during this presentation.
"He's got a finger the size of Tennessee."
– Capcom's Bobby Tunick, associate product manager on Asura's Wrath, referring to the game's Great Wyzen. This enemy boss/god's final form is larger than life — all life, you might say. He grows to be bigger than the entire planet, then attempts to squish our protagonist with the tip of his index finger from outer space.
"Getting teabagged by a juggernaut is simply amazing. I've never been more happy than I am right now."
– Infinity Ward Production Coordinator Andy Dohr, as his character was lying on the ground, bleeding out during a co-op Spec Ops match with us in Modern Warfare 3. Guess who/what was standing above his body?
"You know what fanny packs are in Australia, right?"
"Yeah, fanny packs are vaginas there, right?"
"I got news for you…they're vaginas in America, too."
– An Australian exhibitor to a fanny pack-wearing journalist (with final commentary by Bitmob Writer Rus McLaughlin) while waiting for the Call of Duty Elite demo to begin.
"OK everybody: We love Wii! We love…no?"
– Nintendo booth attendant (and world's worst cheerleader) attempting to pump up the line of people waiting an hour to play 3DS games.
"Oh, there he is. Oops."
– Bitmob Co-Founder Shoe after shooting an A.I. teammate dead, mistaking him for the enemy in Modern Warfare 3's new Spec Ops mode. Just 10 seconds earlier, Shoe was asking a developer where all his computer-controlled Delta squadmates were after summoning them via an air-support drop.
"This game was made for you."
– Shoe to Tommy Tallarico, creator and host of Video Games Live and uber-Disneyland fan. Both were watching a demo of Kinect Disneyland Adventures.