After experiencing high level of backlash, including a lawsuit filed against the company, Electronic Arts has finally responded to public pressure by delivering the extra content promised to Playstation 3 owners of Battlefield 3.
“There have been some misunderstandings around Battlefield 1943 and Battlefield 3″, EA said in a statement on its website, which also explains what gamers must do to get their downloadable copy of Battlefield 1943.
In June, the company announced that PS3 versions of Battlefield 3 would ship with the Playstation Network game Battlefield 1943 on the Blu-ray disc, which didn’t happen. The only explanation for the missing content was sent via a lone tweet from the official @Battlefield Twitter account: “In lieu of 1943 being available on disk for PS3 customers, EA has made all BF3 expansions available early to PS3 customers.”
As we reported earlier this week, disgruntled PS3 gamers then decided to pursue the matter through legal channels — a move that seems to have nudged EA into action. So, the moral of this particular incident is that sometimes it’s worth complaining when big companies like EA don’t keep their promises.
Beginning November 26, European PS3 owners of Battlefield 3 can claim their free, full-game voucher for Battlefield 1943, while U.S. game owners can begin claiming December 10, followed by Asian and Japanese owners December 17.
To claim and redeem your game voucher, you’ll need to jump through a few hoops. But, it should be worth the extra effort. With a Metacritic rating of 84, Battlefield 1943 is one of the best PSN games out there.
To claim your copy of Battlefield 1943, you will need to follow the steps detailed on the EA.com help pages:
- Activate your Battlefield 3 Online Pass for the PlayStation 3 using the voucher included in the game (see step #5 for additional instructions).
- Visit 1943redemption.battlefield.com on, or after the dates outlined above for your region and log in with your Origin ID and password.
- Select your territory. (Note: vouchers do not work across regions.)
- You will then receive a PlayStation 3 voucher for Battlefield 1943.
- Input your voucher into the PlayStation Network store. (Instructions below)
Voucher Input Instructions
- From the XMB (cross media-bar) of the PlayStation 3 connected to a network, choose [account management] under the [PlayStation Network].
- From the menu select redeem codes.
- Enter voucher and select continue.
- Download Battlefield 1943.
GamesBeat 2014 — VentureBeat’s sixth annual event on disruption in the video game market — is coming up on Sept 15-16 in San Francisco. Purchase your ticket now to save $200!