Season 3 of Sony’s online-only reality show The Tester premieres tomorrow, Feb. 7 on the PlayStation Network.
The show features a cast of 12 hopefuls who want to work in the game industry competing in a variety of challenges, many of which have nothing to do with game testing. But three seasons in, it apparently makes for interesting viewing as Sony says their viewership for season 2 increased 46 percent over the first. It’s produced by 51 Minds, which is responsible for shows like VH1′s Rock of Love.
This season, the winner gets the opportunity to work as a Production Associate at Sony’s Santa Monica Studio (best known for the God of War series). On top of that, they get a $5,000 signing bonus, a 55-inch 3D Bravia, a PlayStation 3 and a 2012 Ford Focus Titanium. A job, a new ride and a nice TV? Man, they’re set. Of course the real challenge starts after their show. Let’s just hope the winner is ready to be a production associate (whatever that is) at a AAA studio.
The show does feature guest panelists throughout the season, all of which work in the game industry in some way:
• John Garvin – Game Director, Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Director, Product Development, Sony Bend Studio
• David Jaffe – Co-Director “Twisted Metal” and Co-Founder of Eat Sleep Play
• Dylan Jobe – President, LightBox Interactive
• Seth Killian – Special Combat Advisor, Capcom
• Greg Miller – PlayStation Executive Editor, IGN
• Nolan North – Actor, Author, the Voice of Nathan Drake
• Todd Papy – Design Director, God of War III
If reality shows are your thing, you can download The Tester directly from PlayStation Network starting tomorrow. You can view it by downloading from the PSN store, view it on TheTester.com, Crackle.com, or in PlayStation Home.
Check out the show’s main website here, it includes profiles and bios for the cast and panelists.
GamesBeat 2014 — VentureBeat’s sixth annual event on disruption in the video game market — is coming up on Sept 15-16 in San Francisco. Purchase one of the first 50 tickets and save $400!