Update: Swapped in a better version of the video.
Todd Howard, game director at Bethesda Game Studios, gave the opening keynote at the 2012 DICE Summit this evening. Among his slides, he included a number of videos, one of which showed off what the developers refer to internally as the “Skyrim Game Jam.”
After the development of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim wrapped last year, the team was given a single week to throw whatever they wanted inside and mess around. The experiments ranged from humorous to “OMG why the F wasn’t that in the game?!” so it’s definitely worth a look.
Players have been requesting a dragon mount since before the game came out, and that (along with any other features seen in this video) may eventually become a reality, as Howard stated they all have the possibility of being released as paid downloadable content or in free updates.
A list of the internal mods:
- Seasonal foliage
- Flow-based water
- New weapon: spears
- Kill cams for magic and ranged combat
- New stealth options like water arrows and assassin view
- Guards can relight dark areas
- Paralysis traps
- Hanging structures and platforms in dungeons
- Water current in dungeons
- Dark dungeons
- New companion options and customization
- Build your own home
- Combine magic to create new spells
- Way Gate fast-travel
- New unique mounts
- Mounted combat
- Dragon mounts
- Soul Bug familiar
- Kinect-enabled shouts
- Footprints in snow
- Better animations for fabrics
- Ice and fire arrows
- Lycanthropy (werewolf) skill tree
- Become a flying Vampire Lord
- Vampire imp minions
- New Mudcrab animations (?)
- Giant Mudcrab enemy (!)
GamesBeat 2014 — VentureBeat’s sixth annual event on disruption in the video game market — is coming up on Sept 15-16 in San Francisco. Purchase one of the first 50 tickets and save $400!