Director Ridley Scott’s prequel to Alien, Prometheus, is coming to a theater near you next weekend. To celebrate the return of one of the most successful science fiction/horror franchises, we’re taking a look back at video games that were influenced by the movies’ main villain, the xenomorph.
The following titles borrow heavily on the vicious alien’s design, as well as the embryo-implanting “facehugger” from whom the creatures are born.
Although the Metroid series doesn’t rip off the xenomorph’s design, you can’t ignore the similarities between the two franchises:
- Strong female leads (Ellen Ripley in Alien and Samus Aran in Metroid)
- Parasitic alien life form that could wipe out life in the entire galaxy
- Recurring space pirate Ridley has the same name as movie director Ridley Scott
- Xenomorph home world: LV-426, Metroid home world: SR388
- Nostromo’s computer is called “Mother” in Alien, while the leader of the space pirates is called “Mother Brain”
Know of any other games that borrow elements from xenomorphs or Aliens in general? Tell us in the comments below.
Mobile developer or publisher? VentureBeat is studying mobile marketing automation.
Fill out our 5-minute survey
, and we'll share the data with you.