Legend has it that Ernest Hemingway once told his fellow writers during one of their famous roundtable lunches that he could write a six-word-long short story. His fellow authors scoffed at Hemingway’s claims. Ol’ Papa told them to throw in $10 each. If he was wrong, he would match their money. He scribbled away on a napkin for a few moments and then passed the napkin around the table.
His six-word-long story? “For sale: baby shoes, never worn.” Hemingway won the bet as his story had a beginning, middle, and end. The six-word story is now a craft of its own with several sites dedicated to the craft and many aspiring writers cranking them out.
Can we take our most beloved games and break them down to six-word short stories? Here are some of my attempts…. What about yours?
- Brazil for vacation. Hell broke loose. (Max Payne 3)
- Black Mesa, best get the crowbar. (Half-Life)
- Jokes about balls, all #@$@$ game. (Duke Nukem Forever)
- Insane obstacles, lay off the brakes. (Trials HD)
- Former outlaw bent on his redemption. (Red Dead Redemption)
- Seven descendants. Dark World. Ganon’s Tower. (The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past)
- Saddled pig. Creeping creeper. Minecart weeeeeeeee! (Minecraft)
- Bashing monkeys. Narcoleptic neanderthal. Mammoth massacre. (Tail of the Sun)