Gaming execs: Join 180 select leaders
from King, Glu, Rovio, Unity, Facebook, and more to plan your path to global domination in 2015. GamesBeat Summit
is invite-only -- apply here
. Ticket prices increase
on April 3rd!
Kicking off this week’s QuakeCon event in Dallas, Texas, Apogee Software (Duke Nukem 3D) finally made good on its talk of a modern reboot of its classic 1995 first-person shooter, Rise of the Triad.
The new game will utilize the Unreal 3 graphics engine (which powers the Gears of War series) to deliver plenty of visually stunning, technically-not-Nazi massacres. Rise of the Triad will be co-developed between Apogee and Interceptor Entertainment.
“We were seeking a strong, independent, hard-working development partner to herald the eagerly anticipated return of Rise of the Triad,” said Terry Nagy, co-founder and chief creative officer of Apogee. “We have indeed found that partner in Interceptor Entertainment.”
Apogee did not give an official release date, but Rise of the Triad is set to hit the Steam online store “late this year.” (Who wants to bet it gets delayed like every other major game that is supposed to come out in 2012?)
A representative for the title sent along the following features to GamesBeat:
- Step into the shoes of the H.U.N.T. (High-Risk United Nations Taskforce) with five unique characters, each with different play styles.
- Blast through over 20 of levels of explosive single-player action.
- Unique multiplayer maps bring back all the fun and excitement of classic ROTT.
- The full arsenal of over-the top weapons is back, including the Flamewall, Firebomb, Split Missile, Drunk Missile and, of course, the Excalibat!
- The maniacal modes return, too, with God mode, Elasto mode, Mercury mode, Shrooms mode and everyone’s favorite, Dog mode!
- Build your own levels, mods and share them with Valve’s Steamworks.
- Offline single-player and multiplayer allows for instant action.
- Find tons of secrets, collectables, special events and hidden areas to explore.
- Get more than 100 achievements to add to your score, which is tracked on our worldwide leaderboard and stat-tracking system.
- ROTT is bloodier and more ludicrous than ever, with full character and enemy dismemberment.
- The iconic original soundtrack has been completely re-forged in the fires of heavy metal!
- Nostalgia abounds with the option to play with all the original sounds and music.
- Built on fully licensed Unreal Engine 3 technology, ROTT will run on low-end PCs and push high-end PCs to their limits!
To get a feel for the original, you can check out plenty of playthroughs on YouTube. And for more information on the new game, visit the official site, Twitter (hashtag #ROTT), and Facebook.