Mary Meeker, a partner at Kleiner Perkins Caulfield and Byers, has just published her latest huge deck of amazingly useful data, the “2012 Internet Trends Year-End Update.”
Meeker is delivering her report to a group of Students at Stanford University, and Kleiner Perkins is live-tweeting the presentation on Twitter at @kpcb.
This is an update to a report Meeker delivered in May 2012, and it’s got a ton of new information.
We’re still digesting the slides, but the slide above (#24 in Meeker’s deck) is a real standout. Echoing a similar graph of computer system sales from Horace Dediu at Asymco, it shows the dramatic shift away from Windows-powered Intel machines (Wintel) in the past few years. Apple drove a wedge into the Wintel monopoly, but it’s Google’s Android OS that’s really eating Microsoft’s lunch. Since Q4 2010, combined shipments of tablets and smartphones have exceeded the number of PCs shipped, Meeker reports, and that trend shows no sign of reversing.
- Meeker’s data show 2.4 billion Internet users worldwide, a number that’s still growing eight percent yearly.
- There are 1.1 billion smartphone subscribers worldwide — but that’s still just 17 percent of the global cellphone market.
- 29 percent of adults in the U.S. now own either a tablet or an e-reader.
- Mobile devices now account for 13 percent of worldwide Internet traffic, up from 4 percent in 2010.
- Mobile app and advertising revenue has grown at an annual rate of 129 percent since 2008, and now tops $19 billion.
- Mobile traffic app Waze has been adding users faster than all GPS makers combined have sold personal navigation units, and it’s been that way since the beginning of 2012.
Meeker’s presentation goes on to spell out how these device and connectivity trends are leading to the complete re-imagination of everything from encyclopedias to money itself. It’s a great presentation — you should definitely read it.
See the full slide deck below.
VentureBeat’s VB Insight team is studying email marketing tools.
Chime in here, and we’ll share the results