The NPD Group just sent out the final financial report for video games from 2012. Now we can tell you which games sold the most.
NPD is a financial-analysis firm that tracks the sales of video games at brick-and-mortar retailers in the States. That’s how we know that the games industry sold $6.71 billion worth of new games in 2012. That’s down 23 percent from 2011’s $8.69 billion.
So, which games contributed the most to that number?
The 10 best-selling games of 2012:
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II (360, PS3, PC, Wii U)
- Madden NFL 13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSV, Wii U)
- Halo 4 (360)
- Assassin’s Creed III (360, PS3, PC, Wii U)
- Just Dance 4 (Wii, 360, Wii U, PS3)
- NBA 2K13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, Wii U, PC)
- Borderlands 2 (360, PS3, PC)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)
- Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSV, PC)
- FIFA Soccer 13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSV, 3DS, Wii U, PSP)
That’s it. Not very surprising, is it?
GamesBeat 2014 — VentureBeat’s sixth annual event on disruption in the video game market — is coming up on Sept 15-16 in San Francisco. Purchase one of the first 50 tickets and save $400!