Gaming execs: Join 180 select leaders
from King, Glu, Rovio, Unity, Facebook, and more to plan your path to global domination in 2015. GamesBeat Summit
is invite-only -- apply here
. Ticket prices increase
on March 6 Pacific!
Popular handmade marketplace Etsy has shared some eye-popping stats about its performance in 2012, with CEO Chad Dickerson calling it a “breakthough year.”
Etsy has been in the news recently due to its purchase of photo app Mixel and the launch of its sleek new Android app, showing its 800,000 sellers that it’s committed to mobile. The company also recently hired a new CFO.
“As you ramp up your businesses in these first weeks of 2013, I want to take a moment to reflect on 2012 one last time and celebrate your collective success,” Dickerson wrote to his sellers. “This was a breakthrough year for the Etsy community by any measure.”
Here are some of the key takeaways, per a lengthy blog post today:
- Overall sales in 2012 grew 70.3 percent over the previous year, to $895.1 million from $525.6 million in 2011
- 10 million new members joined Etsy last year, almost doubling the total number of members to 22 million in about 200 countries
- New buyers increased by 83 percent in 2012
- Sales in December 2012 were 72.9 percent higher than 2011
- Mobile visits on Etsy grew 244 percent in the past year, representing more than 25 percent of all traffic
- Jewelry is still Etsy’s #1 category, but the fastest-growing category is Furniture, which grew 134 percent from 2011.
New York-based Etsy has raised about $91 million from investors including Index Ventures, Union Square Ventures, and Accel Partners.
Personalized Money Clip via 3LittlePixiesShoppe/Etsy
VentureBeat is studying social media marketing tools
, and we’ll share the data with you.