Gaming execs: Join 180 select leaders
from King, Glu, Rovio, Unity, Facebook, and more to plan your path to global domination in 2015. GamesBeat Summit
is invite-only -- apply here
. Ticket prices increase
on March 6 Pacific!
This sponsored post is produced by Fiksu.
Ad tracking and measurement rank among the chief worries of app marketers right now. In the Mobile Marketing Association’s July Survey, 48 percent of app marketers said this was their No. 1 concern. Ad targeting and optimization technologies on mobile are more complex and less sophisticated than what’s available online – but no less critical to successful marketing. Detailed insight into how your app marketing ads are performing is crucial to delivering the price and performance results that you demand.
Fortunately there are some key steps you can take to address the tracking and optimization challenges. Here are five key lessons mobile app marketers should keep in mind.
1. Understand all the mobile ad tracking technologies that are available. Unlike the online world where cookie-based tacking is the industry standard and works consistently across the ecosystem, mobile uses a range of different tracking technologies that are inconsistent and vary by ad network and platform. The primary types of ad tracking technologies available today are:
- Apple Advertising Identifier
- MAC Address
- Digital Fingerprinting
- HTML5 Cookie Tracking
- Android Referrer
The main lesson here is that no one tracking technology gives you access to all the available advertising inventory, so app marketers looking for a wide reach typically use multiple technologies. For a deep dive into the advantages and disadvantages of these technologies download Fiksu’s eBook on Ad Tracking.
2. Get granular. In order to be successful, ad tracking must be as granular and detailed as possible. You need to know the relative performance of different creatives, networks, countries, and devices, just to name a few factors. With that information, you can eliminate the ads that aren’t performing, stop spending with networks that don’t produce quality users, and focus on countries where you see the best results.
3. Optimize beyond the download with proper tracking of in app events. It’s crucial to track app usage past installation in order to determine which sources are providing your most loyal users. Most tracking technologies only account for downloads rather than opens, in app purchases, or registrations – the actions that actually generate revenue.
4. Stop guessing. There are too many variables that go into an ideal advertising campaign to arrive at the best combination by trial and error or guesswork. Deciding where to spend your marketing dollars without the right information and analysis can mean expensive mistakes and missed opportunities. Employ the proper technologies to eliminate the guesswork and put your marketing dollars to work for you.
5. Don’t settle. Since most tracking technologies only provide raw data, manual optimization can be extremely time consuming for the advertiser. With limited time and resources, many app marketers end up settling for the information and results they have time for. However there are technologies available that translate this raw data into optimized results. Learn about these technologies and how they provide immediate and continuous optimization in Fiksu’s eBooks on these subjects.
With the right technologies and partners in place, mobile advertising can be very effective, manageable and measurable. So don’t let the challenges keep you away from this exciting and fast-growing marketing channel.
Sponsored posts are content that has been produced by a company, which is either paying for the post or has a business relationship with VentureBeat, and they’re always clearly marked. The content of news stories produced by our editorial team is never influenced by advertisers or sponsors in any way. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
VentureBeat is studying social media marketing tools
, and we’ll share the data with you.