Join 180 select leaders from King, Glu, Rovio, Unity, Facebook, and more at GamesBeat Summit
. This is an invite-only event so apply now
That Deadpool is one irreverent mutant, so I had a hunch that he’d fill his new game with crude jokes and heavy violence — and I was right.
The Entertainment Software Rating Board designated the game as “M for mature,” which means it is suitable for adults 17 and older. According to the gaming industry’s self-regulating body, Deadpool crosses into the M-rating due to “blood and gore, intense violence, mature humor, sexual content, and strong language.”
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron developer High Moon Studios is handling the development on Deadpool. Activision is publishing the title and plans to release it this summer for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. It is a character-action game similar to DmC: Devil May Cry or God of War.
The ESRB went on to detail specifically how Deadpool earned its “M”:
- As players traverse enemy strongholds, they use an assortment of melee weapons (swords, sais, giant hammers) and firearms (pistols, machine guns, shotguns) to kill human soldiers and mutant enemies.
- Battles are frenetic and accompanied by screams of pain, gunfire, and large blood-splatter effects.
- Some attacks result in dismemberment or decapitation; body parts and bloodstains can be seen on the ground.
- Players can also employ stealth attacks, in which close-up camera angles depict more severe damage against enemies.
- Throughout the game, the protagonist provides irreverent commentary and jokes amidst the exaggerated acts of violence (e.g., “No guts, no glory” when hanging from his entrails; “Oh, that’s gonna leave a mark” when dismembering an enemy; “That’s because you have more comics than me” when repeatedly beating a character on the ground).
- The dialogue also contains mature humor, sexual material, and innuendo (e.g., “Two less herpes cases to worry about,” “The pipe I was offering gives way more pleasure,” “So if I flip a coin, what are my chances of getting head?”).
- Other instances of mature humor include an extended toilet scene and the pumping up of an inflatable doll.
- During the course of the game, the protagonist is briefly shown reaching for and groping a woman’s breasts; in another, he is depicted grabbing an inflatable doll’s breast while in a hot tub.
- The words “fuck,” “shit,” and “asshole” are heard in dialogue.
And my mom still thinks comic books are for kids.