When the PlayStation 4 launches on Nov. 15, Sony will release a day-one patch for the device to go along with it.
The patch will immediately update the PS4 to software version 1.5. It’s 300 MB download, and it will include features like Remote Play, game recording, and party chat. The update will not include one on the PS4’s earlier promised features, the capability to suspend and resume a game instantly.
PlayStation 4’s “suspend/resume mode” is when gamers can put the console into a low-power state that behaves as if the system is off, but it actually saves the game right where you left it. This is similar to closing the shell of your Nintendo 3DS. Sony confirmed in a blog on its PlayStation website that this feature isn’t included in update 1.50 and won’t work with the console at launch.
“We will provide additional information about system software update version 1.50 and features available at the PS4 system’s North America launch, and features that will be available after launch, in the near future,” PlayStation spokesperson Sid Shuman wrote.
Here’s a full list of items that update 1.5 will add to your PlayStation 4 (it’s a lot):
- Remote Play: This enables gamers to stream PS4 titles to their PlayStation Vita.
- Second Screen: Gamers can use their Vita or PlayStation app on a mobile device to get supplemental information about a game over a Wi-Fi connection.
- Record gameplay, take screenshots, and upload them.
- Broadcast and spectate livestreaming gameplay.
- Play a game while it downloads.
- Multi log-in: This will enable multiple users to log in to the PS4 at once.
- Party voice chat.
- Face recognition and voice commands.
- Background music player.
- Online multiplayer.
- Blu-ray and DVD player.
While the system doesn’t require a persistent Internet connection, it will require you to at least connect once if you want Blu-ray playback functionality.
Sony is a Japanese multinational conglomerate corporation headquartered in Kōnan, Minato, Tokyo, Japan. Sony Corporation is the electronics business unit and the parent company of the Sony ... All Sony news »
Sony Interactive Entertainment, Inc. is a major video game company specializing in a variety of areas in the video game industry, and is a wholly owned subsidiary and part of the Consumer Pr... All Sony Interactive Entertainment news »