GamesBeat

Nintendo denies claim it is making ‘minigames’ for smartphones

Above: Don't expect Pikachu to gallivant about on your iPhone.

Mario doesn’t want anything to do with your iPhone.

Despite rumors, Nintendo says it doesn’t plan to make minigames for iOS or Android. Yesterday, the Japanese newspaper Nikkei reported that the struggling Japanese gaming publisher will release free minigames on smartphones in an effort to promote its Wii U (which is a distant third in the home console race) and 3DS. Today, the company responsible for Mario, Donkey Kong, and Zelda is refuting that claim.

Instead, the company is claiming that Nikkei — and those that spread the Nikkei story — misunderstood Nintendo chief executive officer Satoru Iwata‘s statements in a recent press conference. Following a dismal quarterly earnings report two weeks ago, Iwata addressed a question about making games for smartphones. The CEO said that the publisher still doesn’t want to bring franchises like Mario and Pokémon to mobile devices, but he did express interest in leveraging smart handsets to promote Nintendo’s console products in other ways.

Nintendo claims that Nikkei is misconstruing that statement to imply the publisher will make minigames to promote its retail products.

The idea of Nintendo making games for smartphones is popular among Wall Street analysts who want the company to find new ways to bring in revenue now that its Wii U console performing poorly. Nintendo expects to lose around $250 million in net income for its fiscal year ending March 31.

“Nikkei’s article contains information previously stated by Mr. Iwata during past press conferences, including statements which relate to Nintendo’s willingness to make use of smart devices to promote our products,” a Nintendo spokesperson said in a statement provided to Engadget. “However, during such past announcements, Mr. Iwata has also stated that Nintendo’s intention is not to make Nintendo software available on smart devices, and as such, we can confirm that there are no plans to offer minigames on smartphone devices.”

Nintendo has repeatedly said it won’t make iOS or Android games. The proposition comes up at almost ever investor meeting the company holds, and it is a popular idea that analysts point to when they explain how they would “save Nintendo.”

Additionally, Nikkei has a strong track record of nailing these kinds of Nintendo rumors. In June 2012, after the newspaper reported that Nintendo was working on a larger 3DS, Nintendo said that Nikkei’s info was false. A month later, the publisher later released the Nintendo 3DS XL, a larger 3DS.

 

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
More information:

Nintendo of America is consistently amazed and humbled by the passion and loyalty of our fans. Our hope is that this Page can be a place where that excitement can live, thrive and be shared. And while we love your creativity and are he... read more »

Satoru Iwata is the current president of Nintendo. He became president in 2002. Satoru used to work at HAL as a programmer and helped create major games such as Kirby's Dream Land. In 1993, Satoru was promoted as the president of HAL L... read more »

Powered by VBProfiles


Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 2.00.11 PMGamesBeat 2014 — VentureBeat’s sixth annual event on disruption in the video game market — is coming up on Sept 15-16 in San Francisco. Purchase your ticket now to save $200!
0 comments

GamesBeat is your source for gaming news and reviews. But it's also home to the best articles from gamers, developers, and other folks outside of the traditional press. Register or log in to join our community of writers. You can even make a few bucks publishing stories here! Learn more.

You are now an esteemed member of the GamesBeat community. That means you can comment on stories or post your own to GB Unfiltered (look for the "New Post" link by mousing over your name in the red bar up top). But first, why don't you fill out your via your ?

About GamesBeat