If you play Pokémon X or Y, then you can get a free classic pocket monster right now.
Nintendo is giving away the grass- and psychic-type Pokémon Celebi as part of a promotion to get players using the new Pokémon Bank app. This tool enables Poké masters to store their digital creatures in the cloud so that they are always accessible from other games. Pokémon Bank is free for the first 30 days. After that, Nintendo will charge an annual fee of $5 to help it maintain the servers.
So, it’s time to hop on your 3DS, get the Bank utility, and get your free Celebi … but, unsurprisingly, you will have to jump through a few hoops to get the Pokémon.
To help you out, we’re gonna guide you through the process. Jump down below for the text guide or watch the video walkthrough right here:
- Go the 3DS eShop.
- Download the free Pokémon Bank app.
- Make sure you have your Pokémon X or Y card in the slot (or you can have the digital version).
- Open up Pokémon Bank from the 3DS home screen.
- Go through the setup process and “buy” the 30-day trial pass.
- Don’t worry, you’re not actually buying anything. The trial pass is free.
- From the Pokémon Bank home screen, select “Use Pokémon Bank.”
- Choose the save game from your copy of Pokémon X and Y that you want to use.
- Select whether you want free bonus Poké Miles or Battle Points.
- Now, in the Bank interface, move one of your Pokémon from your X or Y boxes to the bank.
- Don’t skip step 10. You need to actually have at least one pocket monster in the bank to get Celebi.
- Tap X to save.
- Hit Home on your 3DS, and launch Pokémon X or Y.
- From the home menu of the game, select “Pokémon Link.”
- Open the present, which is either the Poké Miles or Battle Points you chose in step 9.
- Hit Home on your 3DS again, and launch Pokémon Bank one more time.
- Again, choose “Use Pokémon Bank” and select the same save file as before.
- The game will award you a Celebi.
- Once again, hit Home on your 3DS, launch Pokémon X or Y, start up you game, and hit “Pokémon Link.”
- This time, the present is your Celebi.
Be sure to watch the video if you want to follow along with a visual presentation.
Mobile developer or publisher? VentureBeat is studying mobile marketing automation.
Fill out our 5-minute survey
, and we'll share the data with you.