Want to master the CMO role? Join us for GrowthBeat Summit on June 1-2 in Boston
, where we'll discuss how to merge creativity with technology to drive growth. Space is limited and we're limiting attendance to CMOs and top marketing execs. Request your personal invitation here
UPDATE: The VB news internship for 2014 has been filled. Please welcome our newest staffer, Kia Kokalitcheva!
If you’re craving newsroom experience at one of the fastest-growing tech blogs covering Silicon Valley, Silicon Alley and beyond, we’ve got a great opportunity for you.
VentureBeat is hiring an intern — not a go-fer, not a maid, not a punching bag. A real, paid, news-writing professional who wants to get on-the-job experience, build a portfolio, network in the tech world, and possibly work toward a full-time position at VentureBeat.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Some blogging experience. WordPress familiarity is a plus!
- The ability to write well and relatively quickly.
- The desire to do actual reporting — not just copy/paste press releases.
- A positive attitude: Willingness to learn and incorporate constructive feedback.
- Located in the San Francisco Bay Area or New York City area.
- Interest in technology, business, and the business of technology.
- A degree (or working toward a degree) in media, communications, English, or better still, journalism.
- Optional: A penchant for public speaking, podcasting, online video, stand-up comedy, or other such interests.
What you’ll get:
- Newsroom experience with a team of expert reporters and editors.
- On-the-job training for everything a news blogger can encounter.
- Collaboration, support, and friendship from the whole team (we love our culture).
- A group of hands-on editors who will coach you and help you grow as a reporter and writer.
- A roster of sources at some of the biggest, most exciting companies in the tech universe.
- So much fun. Memories to last a lifetime. Really great stories.
- If your work merits it, recommendations and introductions — or even a job offer.
Here’s what our former intern (and then full-time reporter) Rebecca Grant has to say about the position:
As an intern at VB, you are thrown headlong into the tech community. You learn a lot in a short period of time about the tech industry, online media, and journalism. You learn to write extremely fast, and you learn how to turn something boring and/or complicated into a compelling story. You also get the chance to interview interesting people and develop a valuable network of sources. It’s a strong foundation for anyone tech-obsessed looking to get into journalism or for any journalists looking to break into the startup world.
Previous interns have gone on to full-time jobs at Wired, the Wall Street Journal, and Buzzfeed, as well as VentureBeat itself.
Apply by sending an email to email@example.com. Send in a few links to blog posts or news clips, and tell us a little bit about yourself, what you like to write about, what blogs you read, and what your goals are. A resume and/or LinkedIn profile would also be great.
VentureBeat’s mission is to define innovation for forward-thinking executives. Founder Matt Marshall covered venture capital for the San Jose Mercury News until he left in September 2006 to launch VentureBeat as an independent compan... read more »
Powered by VBProfiles
VentureBeat’s VB Insight team is studying email marketing tools.
Chime in here, and we’ll share the results