UPDATE: The VB news internship for 2014 has been filled. Please welcome our newest staffer, Kia Kokalitcheva!
If you’re craving newsroom experience at one of the fastest-growing tech blogs covering Silicon Valley, Silicon Alley and beyond, we’ve got a great opportunity for you.
VentureBeat is hiring an intern — not a go-fer, not a maid, not a punching bag. A real, paid, news-writing professional who wants to get on-the-job experience, build a portfolio, network in the tech world, and possibly work toward a full-time position at VentureBeat.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Some blogging experience. WordPress familiarity is a plus!
- The ability to write well and relatively quickly.
- The desire to do actual reporting — not just copy/paste press releases.
- A positive attitude: Willingness to learn and incorporate constructive feedback.
- Located in the San Francisco Bay Area or New York City area.
- Interest in technology, business, and the business of technology.
- A degree (or working toward a degree) in media, communications, English, or better still, journalism.
- Optional: A penchant for public speaking, podcasting, online video, stand-up comedy, or other such interests.
What you’ll get:
- Newsroom experience with a team of expert reporters and editors.
- On-the-job training for everything a news blogger can encounter.
- Collaboration, support, and friendship from the whole team (we love our culture).
- A group of hands-on editors who will coach you and help you grow as a reporter and writer.
- A roster of sources at some of the biggest, most exciting companies in the tech universe.
- So much fun. Memories to last a lifetime. Really great stories.
- If your work merits it, recommendations and introductions — or even a job offer.
Here’s what our former intern (and then full-time reporter) Rebecca Grant has to say about the position:
As an intern at VB, you are thrown headlong into the tech community. You learn a lot in a short period of time about the tech industry, online media, and journalism. You learn to write extremely fast, and you learn how to turn something boring and/or complicated into a compelling story. You also get the chance to interview interesting people and develop a valuable network of sources. It’s a strong foundation for anyone tech-obsessed looking to get into journalism or for any journalists looking to break into the startup world.
Previous interns have gone on to full-time jobs at Wired, the Wall Street Journal, and Buzzfeed, as well as VentureBeat itself.
Apply by sending an email to email@example.com. Send in a few links to blog posts or news clips, and tell us a little bit about yourself, what you like to write about, what blogs you read, and what your goals are. A resume and/or LinkedIn profile would also be great.
VentureBeat’s mission is to define innovation for forward-thinking executives. Founder Matt Marshall covered venture capital for the San Jose Mercury News until he left in September 2006 to launch VentureBeat as an independent compan... read more »
Powered by VBProfiles
VentureBeat’s VB Insight team is studying email marketing tools.
Chime in here, and we’ll share the results