Sony has more than 100 games coming from indie game developers for the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita game machines.
Adam Boyes, the vice president of publisher and developer relations at Sony’s U.S. game division, said that these are the next wave of games coming from independent game makers. Sony has more than 1,000 developers licensed for self-publishing on its platforms.
“Every day we have more,” Boyes said in a talk at Sony’s game headquarters in San Mateo, Calif.
So far, 21 self-published games are on the PS4, including the hot title Warframe, a free-to-play war game from Digital Extremes. It’s the second-most-downloaded app on the PS4 after Netflix, Boyes said. Another popular game is Outlast, an exercise in horror that’s seen more than 1.8 million downloads. And he noted that TowerFall: Ascension, which touts its local multiplayer, sold more on the PS4 than it did on Steam on the PC.
He said that livestreaming has proven popular with the indie games. To date, the PS4 has had eight million spectator sessions for the self-published games. And for every one person broadcasting an indie such as Don’t Starve, 15 were watching.
Sony has been helping some of the developers on production of their games, and it has also advanced funds to some of them through its Sony Pub Fund.
The indies that Boyes mentioned include:
- N++ from Metanet on the PS4
- 1001 Spikes from Nicalis on the PS4/Vita
- Apotheon from Alien Trap on the PS4
- Axiom Verge from Thomas Happ Games on the PS4/Vita
- Skulls of the Shogun: Bone-a-Fide Edition from 17-Bit on the PS4
- Aztez from Team Colorblind on the PS4/Vita
- The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth from Nicalis on the PS4/Vita
- Chasm from Discord Games on the PS4
- Escape Goat 2 from Magical Time Bean on the PS4
- Transistor from Supergiant Games on the PS4
- Don’t Starve: Reign of Giants from Kle on the PS4
- Galak-Z from 17-Bit on the PS4/Vita
- Gravity Crash Ultra from Just Add Water on the Vita
- Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number from Devolver Digital on the PS4/Vita
- Jamestown + from Final Form Games on the PS4
- Joe Danger 1 and 2 from Hello Games on the Vita
- Metrico from Digital Dreams on the Vita;
- Nidhogg from Messhof on the PS4
- Nuclear Throne from Vlambeer on the PS4/Vita
- PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate from Double 11 on the PS4/Vita
- Race the Sun from Flippify on the PS4/PS3/Vita
- Rogue Legacy from Cellar Door on the PS4/Vita
- Source from Fenix Fire on the PS4
- Starwahl from Breakfall on the PS4/PS3
- Super Exploding Zoo from Honeyslug on the PS4/Vita
- Switch Galaxy Ultra from Atomicon on the PS4/Vita
- The Swapper from Curve on the PS4/PS3/Vita
- To Leave from Freaky Creations on the PS4/Vita
- Velocity 2X from FuturLab on the PS4/Vita
- The Witness from Jonathan Blow’s Thekla on the PS4
Sony is a Japanese multinational conglomerate corporation headquartered in Kōnan, Minato, Tokyo, Japan.
Sony Corporation is the electronics business unit and the parent company of the Sony Group, which is engaged in business through... read more »
Powered by VBProfiles
Mobile developer or publisher? VentureBeat is studying mobile app analytics.
Fill out our 5-minute survey
, and we'll share the data with you.