GamesBeat

People would give up sex for mobile games

Above: Don't worry, Flappy Bird will keep you company.

Image Credit: Asia Images

Who needs afternoon delight when you have Angry Birds in your pants?

According to mobile and social gaming network provider PlayPhone, 20 percent of mobile gamers it polled (out of 1,000 Americans) would rather give up sex than mobile games for a week. The other 80 percent of us are giving them a strange look.

PlayPhone also gave us some other startling stats. Almost half (49 percent) of mobile gamers openly admit to playing at work. For shame. Of course, the scariest stat involves those who openly admit to playing while driving: 17 percent! Jeez, people! That next turn in Candy Crush Saga can wait!

“Just as we seek to reveal emerging trends in mobile gaming monetization, we feel it’s essential to investigate behaviors that define heavy spenders.” said PlayPhone chief marketing officer Anders Evju in a press release sent to GamesBeat. “It furthers our goals of maximizing value for our game developer and operator partners and enables us to continue to deliver an optimal social gaming experience.”

I don’t know. Even if they’re heavy spenders, I feel like we should try to discourage the play-while-driving types.

“Our Mobile Gaming Chronicles shed light on several aspects of mobile gaming, but we were most surprised to discover how addicted some gamers are to their mobile games,” Evju said to GamesBeat. “… that gamers would rather give up sex than their mobile games, postpone work and sleep just to play their games, or even play while behind the wheel — which is certainly very dangerous.”

PlayPhone works with the likes of Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, SingTel, Telkomsel, Vivo, Claro, and Tango. It’s services reaches over a billion mobile customers worldwide.

More information:

PlayPhone provides social gaming solutions to the world’s leading wireless carriers, aggregating a global gaming community and offering game developers quick access to millions of gamers, seamless monetization and powerful marketing ... read more »

Powered by VBProfiles


Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 2.00.11 PMGamesBeat 2014 — VentureBeat’s sixth annual event on disruption in the video game market — is coming up on Sept 15-16 in San Francisco. Purchase one of the first 50 tickets and save $400!
18 comments
Adam Reed
Adam Reed

No way am I giving up the poontang for candy crush.

Shahmir Khan
Shahmir Khan

Faizan Khan, I feel bad for your woti ! :D

João Miguel Castro
João Miguel Castro

Well, there are old people. There are people with health issues too... Respect.

Rafael Kireyev
Rafael Kireyev

More likely, most people will give up the regular sex for a mobile one.

Asif Abdul Rasheed
Asif Abdul Rasheed

Get MORE likes for your status / picture and 5OO FOLLOWERS ? read more on >> www. liker-free .com

Peter Farago
Peter Farago

so if you're playing mobile games that much, do you really have a choice? ;) #reality

Aung Thiha
Aung Thiha

That is until somebody makes wearable AR game to pay during sex.

Brandon Jepson
Brandon Jepson

One guy's response I heard recently:"You can have sex in games, but you can't have video games in sex". Good point?

Emmanuel Okiche
Emmanuel Okiche

wuld share d task: mobile games for 15mins, sex for 2-3hrs ;-)

Pamela Rvt
Pamela Rvt

Ah, no. I ditched all my mobile games long ago and I couldn't be happier! Mess with my PS4 though and you die! ;)

Jason Wilson
Jason Wilson VB Staff

This, my friends, is crazy. I can't think of a game that's more appealing than good ol' fashioned lovin'. Not even Hearthstone. 

GamesBeat is your source for gaming news and reviews. But it's also home to the best articles from gamers, developers, and other folks outside of the traditional press. Register or log in to join our community of writers. You can even make a few bucks publishing stories here! Learn more.

You are now an esteemed member of the GamesBeat community. That means you can comment on stories or post your own to GB Unfiltered (look for the "New Post" link by mousing over your name in the red bar up top). But first, why don't you fill out your via your ?

About GamesBeat