GamesBeat

Puzzle & Dragons developer sells its stake in Clash of Clans maker Supercell for $344M

Above: Art from GungHo and Supercell's Clash of Clans/Puzzle & Dragons crossover event.

Image Credit: Supercell

Megapopular mobile strategy game Clash of Clans isn’t just making money for its developer, Supercell. It also just helped Puzzle & Dragons studio GungHo Online Entertainment generate a significant profit.

GungHo just sold its stake in Supercell for $344 million, according to consultant Serkan Toto of Kantan Games. SoftBank, GungHo’s parent company, purchased the Puzzle & Dragons maker’s ownership in Supercell. This gives SoftBank, which already owned a significant portion of Supercell, control of 51 percent of the studio. This deal also gives GungHo a $38 million profit on its initial investment in the Clash of Clans company. Following SoftBank’s purchase, Supercell is now valued at $3.4 billion.

In October, SoftBank teamed up with the Puzzle & Dragons maker in October to purchase a 51 percent stake in Supercell for $1.53 billion. SoftBank paid for 80 percent of that while GungHo put in $306 million to pay for the other 20 percent.


Mobile developer or publisher? VentureBeat is studying mobile app analytics.
Fill out our 5-minute survey, and we’ll share the data with you.


“Following the purchase, Supercell [is now] a subsidiary of SoftBank in Finland,” wrote Toto in a blog post. “The Puzzle & Dragon maker says the motivation for the sale is to focus more on emerging markets and Asia going forward.”

Over the last year, GungHo and Supercell used their close relationship to cross-promote their respective gamers. Puzzle & Dragons would regularly introduced Clash of Clans characters and themed levels to encourage fans of one game to check out the other.

Puzzle & Dragons and Clash of Clans are both still among the top-grossing games on iOS and Android.

As part of its efforts to expand in Asia, GungHo recently established a subsidiary in Singapore. GungHo Online Entertainment Asia Pacific, as the company calls the new spinoff, will invest heavily into games that could perform well in the lucrative Asian markets. The company says it has $300 million available for its Singapore office to spend as it sees fit, and it’s likely that some of that money will come from GungHo’s Supercell sale.

More information:

SoftBank Corp is a Japanese telecommunications and Internet corporation, with operations in broadband, fixed-line telecommunications, e-Commerce, Internet, broadmedia, technology services, finance, media and marketing, and other busine... read more »

Supercell first started developing games for tablets in 2011, and haven't looked back for a second. Smoosh together all the best parts of gaming from consoles and PCs, add mobility along with a new touch UI and — BOOM — tablets ha... read more »

GungHo Online Entertainment America (GOEA) is a multiplatform publisher dedicated to delivering the best titles, content and support for the online gaming community. Established in 2012 and led by former Square Enix and XSEED Games exe... read more »

Powered by VBProfiles


Mobile developer or publisher? VentureBeat is studying mobile app analytics. Fill out our 5-minute survey, and we'll share the data with you.
0 comments

GamesBeat is your source for gaming news and reviews. But it's also home to the best articles from gamers, developers, and other folks outside of the traditional press. Register or log in to join our community of writers. You can even make a few bucks publishing stories here! Learn more.

You are now an esteemed member of the GamesBeat community. That means you can comment on stories or post your own to GB Unfiltered (look for the "New Post" link by mousing over your name in the red bar up top). But first, why don't you fill out your via your ?

About GamesBeat