This post has not been edited by the GamesBeat staff. Opinions by GamesBeat community writers do not necessarily reflect those of the staff.
Video games have been popular for the past few decades, and with the Internet, it is not always necessary for people to have their own game consoles or visit arcades (which are few and far between these days anyway) to play their favorite video games. The biggest problem with online gaming is that most game sites charge a fee to allow people to play the most popular games. The only games that are free are those that are not popular, or small samples of the popular games, just to get you hooked.
Luckily, there are also quite a few good websites that offer free gaming for users. Some of these websites are better than others, and offer a good selection of games for children, teens, and adults. Here are a few of the most popular and fun free game sites:
- PopCap.com – Some of the most popular games on the Internet come from PopCap, including Bejeweled, Zuma, and Plants vs. Zombies. There is not the largest selection of games on this site, but the games are quality ones, free to play, and available for just about every operating system, so anyone can use them, even on the go.
- Plagam.com – If you are looking for a website that has fun games for younger children, simply visit Plagam. Kids can have fun playing with some of their favorite characters, including Dora the Explorer and SpongeBob Squarepants. There are fashion design games for girls, flight simulators, puzzles, and a whole lot more for kids of all ages.
- Kongregate.com – This site has a huge selection of online games, with close to 80,000 titles available. The site is owned by The GameStop Network, and site developers are always working to make the gaming experience even better. Users can provide feedback by reporting problems with games, asking questions, making suggestions, sharing gaming strategies, and more. A lot of the games are created by community developers, and there are weekly and monthly prizes for developers as incentives to keep on developing amazing games.
- Facebook.com – There are hundreds of free games to play on Facebook, and most are easy and loads of fun. Some of the games do ask for money in order to make the experience better, but it is not necessary to enjoy hours and hours of gameplay. Mindjolt Games on Facebook has loads of fun single-player games, including various solitaire games, word games, pool, space games, and more.
- BigFishGames.com – More than 3,300 games are available, and they are all free to play. The group has a team of in-house developers, as well as many partners in development. This all adds up to a great selection of games, both for desktop computers and for mobile devices. New games are always being introduced, so there is always something new to try when you visit this website.
- Newgrounds.com – Originally a website for Flash game developers to share their work with each other, this is now a website that helps artists, developers, and film makers get together and create some pretty amazing games. If a developer has created a game, and needs certain artwork, they can find what they need from the artists in this community. There is a great selection of games on this website, and users can add their input and reviews, which just helps make the gaming experience that much better.
- MiniClip.com – At first glance, one may think that the name means that the website is small. This is not the case. There is a huge selection of games, and it can be used in 15 languages. There are 90 game categories, and there is a lot of social media used so players can “like” games or “tweet” about them.
The next time you need a break and want to do something fun online, switch over to one of these websites, and enjoy playing thousands of exciting video games without ever having to spend a dime.