Featured companies: Biolipox, Cellpoint Diagnostics, Corum Medical, MediKeeper, Mendel Biotechnology, NanoMed, Orexo, Rules-Based Medicine, Tengion
UPDATED: Expanded the Tengion item, and that’s about it.
Tengion raises $33M for bladder regrowth — Tengion, a Norriton, Pa., biotech focused on regenerating diseased or damaged organs, raised $33 million in a third funding round. Investors included Deerfield Partners, Bain Capital, Johnson & Johnson Development, HealthCap, Quaker BioVentures, Oak Investment Partners, L Capital Partners, Horizon Technology Finance and Oxford Finance.
Tengion is working on growing new bladders for adults and children with spinal bifida or spinal-cord injuries based on cells biopsied from the patients’ own bladders. We mentioned the company briefly here.
OTHER HEADLINES OF NOTE:
- Biomarker lab Rules-Based Medicine gets $25M from private equity (release)
- Cancer-diagnostics firm CellPoint Diagnostics pulls in $11.2M (VentureWire, sub req’d)
- Swedish specialty pharma Orexo to acquire Biolipox for $133M (release)
- Cancer drug, diagnostic maker NanoMed gets $1.5M (VentureWire)
- Biocontrol raises £500 against antibiotic-resistant infections (release>
- Satoris reports potential blood test for Alzheimer’s disease (release)
- Corum Medical raises $225K, seeks $3.5M for anemia test (VentureWire)
- Mendel Biotech completes financing round (release)
- Health, wellness Web-tool developer MediKeeper raises funds (release)
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more