Featured companies: BioVex, Cavadis, Innovention, Paratek Pharmaceuticals, Phase Bioscience, Reliant Pharmaceuticals, Xencor
UPDATED: Expanded Paratek and Xencor items.
Paratek Pharma raises $40M for new antibiotics — Boston’s Paratek Pharmaceuticals, a biotech working on new antibiotics to treat drug-resistant bacterial infections, raised a first tranche of a $40 million eighth round of funding. The company’s release is here, VentureWire (subscription required) has more details here.
Investors in this funding included Aisling Capital, D.E. Shaw, Boston Life Science Venture Corporation, Nomura Phase4 Ventures, Novartis BioVentures, BioFund Ventures, HBM BioVentures, Lombard Odier Darier Hentsch, BioVeda Fund and Hercules Technology Growth Capital. Paratek’s lead drug candidate, PTK 0796, is being studied against skin-structure infections and community-acquired pneumonia.
Xencor raises additional $15M for cancer, immune-disease drugs — Xencor, a Monrovia, Calif., biotech developing “engineered” protein- and antibody-based drugs, raised an additional $15 million in its fifth funding round, bringing the total to $60 million. Investors included Oxford Bioscience Partners, Merlin Nexus, Novo Nordisk, MedImmune Ventures, HealthCare Ventures and Zen Investments.
Xenocor’s lead candidate is an antibody that could target Hodgkin’s disease and T-cell lymphoma. The company expects to begin early-stage human trials later this year.
HEADLINES OF NOTE:
- Protein purifier Phase Bioscience pulls in an additional $5.4 million (American Venture Magazine)
- Reliant Pharma trims IPO plans, aims for $364M offering (Edgar)
- Cavadis, developer of diagnostics for “vulnerable” coronary plaques, raises seed funding (PDF release)
- Innovention Tech pulls in $115,000 for new surgical probe (release)
- BioVex names Jan van Heek chairman (release)
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more