InsideCRM has a list of what it says are the twenty worst VC investments of all time. See full details here, but here’s the quick list:
- Amp’d Mobile: $360 million raised, ended in bankruptcy.
- Procket: $272 million, sold for $89 million.
- Webvan: Valued at $1.2 billion, went bankrupt in 2001. Ate through $800 million in venture capital, ended with $830 million in losses.
- Caspian Networks: >$300 million in funding, closed doors.
- Pets.com: $50 million from Hummer Winblad Venture Partners, Bowman Capital, and Amazon.com Inc., did sock-puppet ads, then crashed.
- Optiva: $41.5 million, crashed.
- Kozmo.com: $250 million, liquidated.
- CueCat: $185 million from investors like The Coca-Cola Co. and General Electric Co., bombed.
- DeNovis Inc.: $125 million, closed.
- PointCast Inc.: Tens of millions of dollars in venture capital and a $400 million buy offer, then sold for $7 million.
- eToys: Backed by VC firms Idealab, Highland Capital Partners and Sequoia Capital, ended in bankruptcy.
- AllAdvantage: $135 million in venture capital down the drain.
- FastForward: $54 million into the company, bankrupt.
- Xoma: This 26-year old company has not earned a profit since its inception in 1981. [Update: This one should be taken off the list. It entered the black for the first time two weeks ago!]
- Flooz.com: $50 million, went broke.
- Vanguarde Media Inc.: $60 million in VC funding, went under.
- Pixelon.com: $16 million not remarkable, but burned through with remarkable style.
- Bolt Media Inc.: >$60 million in venture backing, shut down.
- DigiScents: $20 million in investment, shut down.
- Boo.com: $120 million, went bust.
[Update: Dan Primack has since produced another list, using a different method]
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more