Where does your enterprise stand on the AI adoption curve? Take our AI survey to find out.
Wouldn't it be frustrating to be interrupted by a phone call while gaming on your iPhone, because you're playing games on a device that primarily sends and receives calls?
Apple announces GameCenter, a video game community labeled as "Xbox Live for the iPhone." As a key acknowledgment to the growing influence gaming has on Apple's products, GameCenter will feature matchmaking, stat tracking, achievements, and other perks similar to Microsoft's Xbox Live. Consumers will be able to browse and share info on the iPhone's gargantuan selection of gaming apps through the centralized GameCenter network. I expect the same classy taste in XBL profile names to carry over just as easily, such as "S0nysUcKs101." [CrunchGear]
Game director Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear Solid 4) envisions the eventual demise of consoles as a result of digital distribution networks. "In the near future, we'll have games that don't depend on any platform," he said. "Gamers should be able to take the experience with them in their living rooms, on the go, when they travel — wherever they are and whenever they want to play. It should be the same software and the same experience." Kojima recently wrapped up production on Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker for the PSP. For a man who has gotten confused over his own game's storyline, he's pretty confident about what's to come. [Yahoo!]
Blizzard reveals details on the collector's edition of Starcraft 2. Developers usually pull out all the stops to ensure special editions of their games warrant the heightened price, but the extra stuff packed into the $99.99 gigantic Starcraft 2 box borders on the ridiculous:
- The Art of StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty, a 176-page book featuring artwork from the game
- An exclusive 2GB USB flash drive replica of Jim Raynor's dog tag, which comes preloaded with the original Starcraft and the Starcraft: Brood War expansion set
- A behind-the-scenes DVD containing over an hour of developer interviews, cinematics with director's commentary, and more
- The official StarCraft 2 soundtrack CD, containing 14 epic songs from the game along with exclusive bonus tracks
- Starcraft comic book issue #0, a prequel to the series
- A World of Warcraft mini Thor in-game pet that can be applied to all World of Warcraft characters on a single Battle.net account
- Exclusive Battle.net downloadable content, including special portraits for your Battle.net profile, decals to customize your units in-game, and a visually unique version of the terran Thor unit
Speaking with VideoGamer, Cryptic Studios Executive Producer Craig Zinkievich declared that a planned console version of Star Trek Online won't be appearing anytime soon. Initially planned as a multi-platform release, STO is now a PC-only title, much to the disappointment of console gamers eager to jump into the world of Star Trek. "As it stands right now, it's a little difficult to make that final leap on the business side of things," said Zinkievich. "So, currently, just like Champions Online, the console version of Star Trek Online is on the back burner." What a relief — I could stand electric-orange-costumed afro-Captains for only so long.
Got any hot news tips? Send 'em over to email@example.com.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties