Newer products like the iPhone may be dominating most of Apple’s press coverage, and they contribute a big portion of the company’s fast-growing revenue, but that doesn’t mean the Apple’s Macintosh computers are irrelevant.
To kick off today’s “Back to the Mac” event in Cupertino, Calif., Apple shared some numbers about Mac sales.
- Macs have 20.7 percent of the consumer market in the United States
- There are 600,000 registered Mac developers
- Mac sales make up 33 percent of Apple’s revenue
- If Apple’s Mac division was a standalone company, it would rank 110 on the Fortune 500
- Apple sold 13.7 million Macs in fiscal year 2010, three times as many as five years ago
- The Mac installed base is 50 million users
- Mac sales grew 27 percent year-over-year, compared to 10 percent for PCs
- Mac sales have outgrown the market for 18 quarters.
[photo: Dean Takahashi]