How do you know you’re a hometown favorite in the startup world? When the mayor stops by your office and gives you your own “official” day. New York City Mayor Bloomberg just announced plans to officially proclaim April 16th Foursquare Day on Saturday in New York City.
The official mandate from Bloomberg’s post:
New York City is proud to be the home of both the powerhouse companies and small startups that are thinking big, creating new jobs, and leading the global economy. Foursquare is one such success story. Started by Dennis Crowley and Naveen Selvadurai around Dennis’s kitchen table in the East Village, it now employs more than 60 people in New York and has more than eight million users worldwide. That is why we are proud to join Foursquare’s founders and fans in celebrating the first global social media holiday. Today, April 16th—4/16, the fourth sixteenth of the year—is Foursquare Day in New York City and around the world.
There will be a range of activities and events have emerged to take place during the day for the check-in app’s 8 million users, according to Foursquare’s PR team. Several in particular caught my attention, including:
- A group in San Francisco is hosting a party at a local restaurant that’s partnering with Sapporo Beer to raise money for tsunami relief.
- A group of users in Las Vegas is having a 4sqDay food truck festival and food drive, encouraging people who stop by to donate cans of food to their favorite truck.
- Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn will proclaim one lucky person the “Foursquare Mayor of Tampa”.
Foursquare, founded in 2009 and based in New York City, has raised more than $21 million in funding to date. It currently has more than 50 employees in its home town and an engineering office in San Francisco.
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more