At South By Southwest Interactive, we got to sit down for an interview with OMGPOP chief revenue officer Wilson Kriegel. We talked at length about the small game studio’s meteoric rise to blockbuster success with Draw Something — and about both the financial and engineering repercussions of that ride.
For example, he mentioned that the company’s goal is to get to 100 million users, but when the game started getting popular, the traffic actually crashed Amazon’s AWS. So, what do you do when your game crashes AWS?
Watch on and find out.
Earlier today OMGPOP officially announced its acquisition by Zynga. The company’s CEO, Dan Porter said Zynga’s massive resources will make both scaling and releasing new game features a lot simpler in the near future.
A huge thanks to our buddies at TechZulu who shot, edited, and uploaded this video.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties