Have you guys heard about this Internet thing? It’s supposedly the future, and that includes how we buy our video games.
We can see in the infographic below, created by Statista and based off of info from a report by the Entertainment Software Association, that sales of physical copies of games at retail have been consistently decreasing since 2008, while the percentage of digital copies among all titles sold is increasing.
This gigantic image is filled with other interesting information, like which genres are selling best and the most popular types of mobile games, so be sure to scroll all the way down to the very bottom.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties