Join gaming leaders online at GamesBeat Summit Next this upcoming November 9-10. Learn more about what comes next.
The popular Dolphin web browser for Android and iOS devices has opened its API to help third-party developers create better add-ons, the company announced today.
Dolphin Browser has been downloaded more than 16 million times across Android and iOS devices, and it wants to continue its lead as the top third-party browser for mobile. Dolphin developer MoboTap said its new “Dolphin Garage” initiative will give developers access to more than 150 internal APIs so they can do all kinds of crazy things with browser UI, interactions, and more.
“Dolphin Browser already contains 50 plus add-ons that have been installed over 14 million times,” said MoboTap CEO Yongzhi Yang, in a statement. “Dolphin Garage empowers even more developers to build any add-on or PhoneGap-based web app they want and allows more Dolphin users to discover their app.”
Dolphin also announced the addition of four new add-ons from Dropbox, Evernote, Pocket, and Wikipedia that expand what you can do with the wide-ranging mobile browser. The company writes of its new third-party add-ons:
Powered by Dolphin Garage, users can now seamlessly experience the following on Dolphin:
• Dropbox: allows users to download anything and everything directly to Dropbox from within Dolphin.
• Evernote: helps users grab any Web content from Dolphin and save it to Evernote.
• Pocket: allows users to save any page with one click from within Dolphin, then view later on any device, anywhere.
• Wikipedia: powered by PhoneGap, allows users to search Wikipedia from Dolphin and open 20 million Wiki articles in 280 languages, without needing to install a native app.
San Francisco-based MoboTap has raised $10 million in funding from Sequoia Capital and Matrix Partners.
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more