Join GamesBeat Summit 2021 this April 28-29. Register for a free or VIP pass today.
Did you know that if developer Capcom’s Street Fighter series of fighting games were a person, it could legally rent a car now? That frightens us, actually — we’ve seen what they do to cars in those bonus levels.
To celebrate the Silver Anniversary, Capcom released a massive, fun-filled collector’s edition. Area 5 produced the feature-length documentary included in that set, and this episode, we sit down with three of the guys who made the retrospective. The video-production house’s Cesar Quintero, Ryan O’Donnell, and Jason Bertrand join GamesBeat editor-in-chief Dan “Shoe” Hsu to try to fit a quarter-century of Hadoukens into an hour. They almost make it.
This episode’s topics:
- Japanese vs. U.S. arcade culture
- Area 5’s favorite interviews from its Street Fighter documentary
- Interesting stories that didn’t quite make it into Area 5’s movie
If you haven’t seen it, here is the incredible “Daigo parry” video the guys mention during the show.
Special thanks to Playhaven, our official sponsor!
BYOT is now available in the Stitcher Radio app.
Download (right-click and “Save As”): [.mp3]
Subscribe: [iTunes] [RSS]
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties