BlackBerry has been full of surprises today, and the latest one is a doozy.
The company has named singer/songwriter Alicia Keys as its global creative director, a new position for the company. By taking the job, Keys will become the creative face for BlackBerry 10.
In one project, dubbed “Keep Moving,” Keys is working with creatives like director Robert Rodriguez and author Neil Gaiman, who will show how BlackBerry 10 fits into their workflows.
“We wanted someone at the top of her field, well-respected and immensely creative, someone who incorporates tech and creativity into her day-to-day work,” BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins said.
“I wanted to do something where I could grow professionally and personally,” Keys said.
Keys didn’t waste any time tweeting about the news.
— Alicia Keys (@aliciakeys) Jan, 30
With her new gig, Keys is filling a similar role to that of pop star will.i.am, who joined Intel as its director of creative innovation in 2011.
Like Intel’s hire, BlackBerry’s move is meant to add a level of pop relevancy to what the company is working on. Simply put, Keys is trying to help the BlackBerry become cool again.
More BlackBerry 10 news:
- BlackBerry 10 kicks off with Z10, Q10 smartphones
- Research in Motion renames itself just ‘BlackBerry’
- BlackBerry investors unimpressed with BB10, stock down 8%
- BlackBerry isn’t giving up on the PlayBook yet — tablet-focused services in the works
- BlackBerry 10 launches with a ton of big apps, including Skype, Kindle, Facebook, & more
- BlackBerry’s popular BBM app adds video calling & screen sharing
- BlackBerry’s web store finally gets music, TV shows & movies
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform
- networking features, and more