Join gaming leaders online at GamesBeat Summit Next this upcoming November 9-10. Learn more about what comes next.
During today’s Nintendo Direct streaming press briefing, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata announced that Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze won’t make its original launch date.
Originally set for a December 2013 release in North America, the next Donkey Kong is now coming out in February 2014, according to Iwata.
“In order to deliver the optimal gaming experience, we need a little more time for development of this title,” said Iwata. “We would like to apologize for this delay, and hope you understand. Please stay tuned for further updates.”
While Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was set to be one of Nintendo’s big holiday releases, the company often delays its major franchises if it feels the game isn’t up to its standards.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties