A new GamesBeat event is around the corner! Learn more about what comes next.
Android lovers craving a phone upgrade might want to stave off the temptation for another month or two.
Samsung recently sent out press invites to a special presentation at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona on Feb. 24. The invitation also includes a link to the company’s YouTube channel, suggesting that the event will be livestreamed at 11 a.m. Pacific.
— Samsung Mobile (@SamsungMobile) February 4, 2014
Could this be the Galaxy S5’s welcome party? It certainly looks that way, as last year’s “Unpacked” event introduced us to the S4. If the phone does appear, expect the S5 to hit stores around late March or early April, as Samsung tends to hype up its new phones for a month after the reveal.
The device’s rumored specs include a higher-res screen of 2,560-by-1,440, 4GB RAM (which would make it the only smartphone with that much memory), Android 4.4, and a fingerprint scanner. Whether all, some, or none of these features make it onto the S5 will become apparent in three weeks.
- Samsung reportedly developing 20-megapixel smartphone camera
- Who needs fingerprints? Samsung could put an eye scanner in the Galaxy S5
- Samsung introduces its latest giant smartphone, the Galaxy Grand 2
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more