Join GamesBeat Summit 2021 this April 28-29. Register for a free or VIP pass today.
MapHook, a social discovery application, just launched a major upgrade for iOS allowing people to quickly search find and share information about places, events, and trending news near them.
MapHook sets itself apart from traditional social networking apps by providing a flexible, yet organized way to input information and search for content. Users place location-based entries, termed “hooks,” to create geo-tagged digital memories, which can then be searched based on a variety of criteria.
MapHook users focus on what is around them, what to do, and where to go, while also seamlessly integrating with third-party content from Yelp, Wikipedia, Foursquare, and Twitter. People can add reviews about anything from the local music scene to hiking trails to restaurants and more.
The app goes beyond a Google Maps pin or writing a review on Yelp. By adding “hooks” to places visited, users catalog interest spots. Users add text, links from social networks, and photos and then make them available to other MapHook users. The “hooks” are made visible when users are in the area.
In the latest release, MapHook has added new features to make the app more useful for those who enjoy traveling and experiencing new locations. MapHook’s new features include:
- Comprehensive design: The app pulls from 6 popular social media sources, including Yelp, Wikipedia, Foursquare, Twitter, Groupon, and Yahoo! Trends.
- Map view: MapHook offers a streamlined view of the surrounding area, complete with restaurant recommendations and the area’s highlights.
- Trending dashboard: Find local activity from Twitter and Foursquare on MapHook.
- In-app purchasing: Purchase Groupons for local businesses, without leaving the app.
- Custom “hooks”: Bookmark and share favorite spots by pinning them to the map interface and sharing with other travelers.
- Share with friends: Ability to share trends and user experiences from the “HookStream” dashboard over a social network and email.
“To date, map based apps have been limited in the features they provide users. Some are good at getting users around and others are good at allowing them to check into their favorite locations,” says Dr. Paul Carter, president and chief executive of MapHook, in a statement. “The launch of the new MapHook app gives users one clean and simple app to access curated information and trending activity.”
You can download the MapHook app for free in the App Store or on Google Play, via the company’s website.
MapHook was created by MapHook, Inc., a software applications development firm based in Dulles, VA. The MapHook app is the company’s first offering and was originally released in 2010. To date, users have added “hooks” to MapHook from 50 countries around the world.
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more