Join gaming leaders, alongside GamesBeat and Facebook Gaming, for their 2nd Annual GamesBeat & Facebook Gaming Summit | GamesBeat: Into the Metaverse 2 this upcoming January 25-27, 2022. Learn more about the event.
When it comes to choosing which new iPhone model to get, confusion reigns across the land.
Apple kicked off iPhone 6 and 6 Plus pre-orders last night, and iPhone users are faced with something strange and new: An actual decision. This year marks the first time Apple is releasing two new flagship devices (last year’s iPhone 5C was notably a step down from the iPhone 5S), and the iPhone faithful seem to be wrestling with the decision.
Do you go big with the iPhone 6 Plus and get a bigger display, a camera with optical image stabilization, and vastly superior battery life? Or do comfort and one-handed use take precedence with the iPhone 6?
It’s an especially tough decision because many buyers, especially those who have stuck with iPhones over the years, may not really understand just how big the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus actually is. And if you miss the first round of pre-orders, you likely won’t see a new iPhone until long after their September 19 release date. (You can also forget about getting a replacement easily if you want to return your iPhone 6.)
So, as someone who’s tested plenty of smartphones, including phablets like Samsung’s Galaxy Note 4 and LG’s G3, I’d like to offer a bit of advice. But first, if you really want to get a sense of how the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus compare (especially if you wear skinny jeans), check out this great video from Tested:
Here are a few points to consider as you weigh your next iPhone choices:
- Have small hands? Unless you’re used to big screen phones, it may be too tough to adjust. Get the iPhone 6.
- Do you already have trouble fitting current iPhones into your skinny jeans? Get the iPhone 6.
- Do you need to use your phone with one hand a lot? Get the iPhone 6. (The 6 Plus includes a special mode for one-handed use, but it seems like a clunky fix to me.)
- Do you take your phone with you while exercising? Get the iPhone 6.
- Is battery life the most important factor to you? Get the iPhone 6 Plus. (Alternatively, get the iPhone 6 and a portable battery pack.)
- Do you need the best possible camera? Get the iPhone 6 Plus. It marks the first time Apple has offered optical image stabilization in its cameras, which helps reduce shakiness in photos and lets you take better photos in low light. (This is something some Android phones and even Windows Phones have offered for years.)
- Do you watch a lot of movies on your phone? Get the iPhone 6 Plus.
- Have you made fun of Android-toting friends for their gigantic screens? Get the iPhone 6 (or swallow your shame and get the 6 Plus).
You can also check out our hands-on with the new iPhones to get a sense of their size.
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more