Update 11:28am Pacific time: Apple has pulled iOS 8.01. We’ll update you when it comes back.
Apple released an update to the latest version of its mobile operating system iOS 8, and then almost as quickly pulled it.
The new version, 8.01, fixes a number of problems, chief among them a bug in Apple’s consumer health data platform HealthKit.
However, the new update also came with some new problems. Several people who have downloaded the update say they are now having problems with the iPhone’s fingerprint reader, and several others report that the update is causing interruption of cellular service.
A slew of HealthKit-based apps were supposed to show up in the app store last week, but a last-minute bug in HealthKit prevented their releases. Many of the apps removed the HealthKit technology so that they could launch on schedule with iOS 8.
The HealthKit problem now fixed, the apps can build HealthKit integration back in. Some developers VentureBeat has spoken with say their updated apps will launch next week.
The new update intends to resolve a number of issues, including:
- Fixes a bug so HealthKit apps can now be made available on the App Store
- Addresses an issue where 3rd party keyboards could become deselected when a user enters their passcode
- Fixes an issue that prevented some apps from accessing photos from the iPhoto Library
- Improves the reliability of the Reachability feature on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Fixes an issue that could cause unexpected cellular data usage when receiving SMS/MMS messages
- Better support of Ask To Buy for Family Sharing for in-app purchases
- Fixes an issue where ringtones were sometimes not restored from iCloud backups
- Fixes a bug that prevented uploading photos and videos from Safari
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform
- networking features, and more