Join gaming leaders, alongside GamesBeat and Facebook Gaming, for their 2nd Annual GamesBeat & Facebook Gaming Summit | GamesBeat: Into the Metaverse 2 this upcoming January 25-27, 2022. Learn more about the event.
Round is in.
Although some people like the square and boxy smartwatch design used by Samsung and others, most people prefer the round approach used by Motorola and now LG.
The Motorola 360 watch is proof: Our sources says that the watch is selling very, very well.
LG announced today that it had begun the worldwide rollout of its new G Watch R, which it previously debuted at the IFA 2014 tech conference in Berlin. The new LG watch, like its competitor the Moto 360, has a stainless steel frame, a calfskin leather strap, and a round face.
The new R watch also add the heartbeat monitor that the original G watch lacked, plus a barometer, which will allow fitness apps to detect when the wearer is biking up hills or climbing stairs.
LG’s entry into round watch territory is significant. The new watch, LG says, is meant to be a pure Android Wear device without much overlay in the interface from LG. But, the company says, the focus on aesthetics was intensified.
This unveiling came just two months after the release of its first smart watch, the G Watch, which was something of a flop.
The round G Watch R is powered by Android Wear and runs on a 1.2 GHz Snapdragon 400 processor. It holds 4 GB of storage and has 512 MB of RAM.
Here are the full specs:
- Chipset: 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon™ 400
- Display: 1.3-inch P-OLED Display (320 x 320)
- Memory: 4GB eMMC / 512MB RAM
- Battery: 410mAh
- Operating System: Android Wear (compatible with smartphones running Android 4.3 and above)
- Sensors: 9-Axis (Gyro / Accelerometer / Compass)
- PPG (Heart Rate Monitor)
- Color: Black
- Other: Dust and Water Resistant (IP67)
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more