At the Samsung Developer Conference in San Francisco today, Samsung introduced the Gear VR Innovator Edition (read: a developer edition for public consumption). The Oculus-powered headset will be made available in “early December” but only for U.S. residents.
While Samsung touted the device’s “immersive entertainment experience,” it also promotes the Gear VR’s potential for “innovative uses for enterprise.” Examples include realistic training simulation for vehicles or aircrafts, 360 degree views of scans for healthcare, and interactive learning experiences for the classroom.
Alongside the launch of Gear VR Innovator Edition, Samsung said Oculus will make the Oculus Mobile SDK for Gear VR available. Interested developers can register now at developer.oculus.com.
When Samsung first unveiled its Gear VR headset in early September, the company shared that it depends on the Galaxy Note 4, which is sold separately. The gadget uses the smartphone’s giant 5.7-inch Quad HD Super AMOLED display as its screen.
Samsung Gear VR will automatically download special Oculus software to the Galaxy Note 4 when the two are connected for the first time. The Oculus software includes:
- Oculus Home: Your VR home screen and content discovery center, which includes a Samsung section
- Oculus Store: An application that lets you browse and download new content from the Oculus platform
- Oculus Cinema: A VR movie theater and cinema where you can watch your favorite movies in an immersive virtual environment
- Oculus 360 Videos and Photos: Be immersed in 360 degree videos and panoramas from within Gear VR
The Korean company did not talk pricing today for its new device. We are expecting $199, though the Innovator Edition could be priced differently.
Make sure to read our hands-on with the device. If you’re stateside, you’ll be able to try it out yourself next month.
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform
- networking features, and more