Google has announced the most popular YouTube videos of 2014 and released its usual YouTube Rewind clip that attempts to mash the hits together. The top trending video this year was a spider dog prank in Poland, while the top music video was Katy Perry’s “Dark Horse.”
More than 100 YouTube creators gathered to put together this year’s Rewind video to celebrate the people, memes, and moments of 2014. As always, the goal is to look back at the best of YouTube, though this edition is “the biggest and most international Rewind video yet,” according to Google.
Without further ado:
Here are the top trending videos for 2014 based on views, shares, comments, likes, and other metrics YouTube doesn’t disclose:
- Mutant Giant Spider Dog (SA Wardega) by SA Wardega
- Nike Football: Winner Stays. ft. Ronaldo, Neymar Jr., Rooney, Ibrahimović, Iniesta & more by Nike Football
- FIRST KISS by Tatia PIlieva
- The Voice IT | Serie 2 | Blind 2 | Suor Cristina Scuccia – #TEAMJ-AX by TheVoiceOf Italy
- iPhone 6 Plus Bend Test by Unbox Therapy
- Bars & Melody – Simon Cowell’s Golden Buzzer act | Britain’s Got Talent 2014 by Britain’s Got Talent
- Budweiser Super Bowl XLVIII Commercial — “Puppy Love” by Budweiser
- Devil Baby Attack by DevilsDueNYC
- Goku vs Superman. Epic Rap Battles of History Season 3 by ERB
- 10 Hours of Walking in NYC as a Woman by Street HarassmentVideo
This year, the list includes social commentaries, pranks, and advertisements, posted by small names as well as big brands. Google says that collectively, these 10 videos have “hundreds of millions of views” and more than 21 million cumulative subscribers.
As for music videos, female artists rocked the top 10:
- Katy Perry – “Dark Horse” (Official) ft. Juicy J
- Enrique Iglesias – “Bailando” (Español) ft. Descemer Bueno, Gente De Zona
- Shakira – “Can’t Remember to Forget You” ft. Rihanna
- Shakira – “La La La (Brazil 2014)” ft. Carlinhos Brown
- Jason Derulo – “Wiggle” ft. Snoop Dogg (Official HD Music Video)
- Iggy Azalea – “Fancy” (Explicit) ft. Charli XCX
- Sia – “Chandelier” (Official Video)
- Taylor Swift – “Shake It Off”
- Meghan Trainor – “All About That Bass”
- Nicki Minaj – “Anaconda”
As you can see, women took eight of the top 10 spots, with Shakira grabbing two for herself. Google says 2014’s top 10 music videos were collectively played “billions of times” from channels with over 55 million subscribers.
For more top videos of the year, check out the YouTube Rewind channel. If you want a more granular look, Google Trends last month expanded to include daily tracking for viral YouTube videos — see Trending on YouTube.