Some of the mysteries surrounding No Man’s Sky just got a little clearer.
Unveiled to great acclaim — and a little scepticism — just over a year ago, open-world space exploration game No Man’s Sky (PlayStation 4, PC) remains a largely enigmatic project. However, Hello Games managing director Sean Murray revealed a surprising number of facts about the procedurally generated interstellar adventure during a quick-fire interview with Game Informer.
This gives us a better idea of what to expect from one of 2015’s most anticipated releases.
Here are 30 of the most interesting facts that Murray revealed. Of particular note are the things that aren’t in No Man’s Sky. It won’t have DLC, although with what the studio claims is an infinite universe, there’s probably no need.
30 facts about No Man’s Sky
- No Man’s Sky’s universe is infinite.
- You can only have one ship.
- You can’t customize your ship — but you can find one that you like.
- Earth isn’t present, but you might find something close to it.
- You can play with your friends (although Murray’s previously said not to think of it as a multiplayer game).
- You can take pictures.
- You can swim underwater.
- You can chop down a tree.
- You can choose to be a pacifist (although that doesn’t mean someone — or something — won’t attack you).
- Some planets are the size of Earth.
- You might visit a “dud” planet.
- You have a health bar.
- You can land on asteroids.
- The game features black holes.
- You will sometimes get bored playing it.
- It has no downloadable content.
- You can’t select the gender of your character.
- Not all planets can sustain life.
- You can’t collect plants.
- You can’t build a shelter.
- You can’t teleport to your ship.
- You can’t build a space station.
- It has a shop.
- It has no nonplayer characters.
- You can’t terraform a planet.
- You can’t destroy a planet.
- You face many objective markers.
- You won’t notice any gravity differences between planets — your suit compensates.
- You can’t reach the edge of the universe: “You can go into the darkness for as long as you want.”
- You can’t ride a dinosaur.