Earlier today, Microsoft revealed its augmented-reality holographic headset. But the movie Back to the Future II revealed almost the exact same thing back in 1989.
In director Robert Zemeckis’s time-travel tale, hero Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) travels to the future to see what his hometown looks like in the year … 2015. One of the scenes reveals a futuristic kitchen with dehydrated food and appliances that you talk to, but it also showed characters wearing head-mounted graphical displays that are nearly identical to the new Windows HoloLens device that Microsoft announced this morning and will likely release in 2015.
Check it out:
And here is the relevant clip from the movie:
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties