Tomorrow President Obama is hosting a cybersecurity event at Stanford University, bringing together industry experts, tech companies, law enforcement, and privacy advocates to discuss what the United States needs to do to beef up its cybersecurity program.
Here are the five topics that will dominate tomorrow’s Summit on Cybersecurity and Consumer Protection:
- Cyberterrorism and how the government can better handle national security threats from a digital perspective.
- Cyber attacks on business — cue the Sony references. The summit will likely tackle ways businesses can better guard themselves from inevitable attacks.
- FIDO and bringing authentication standards up to date. For context, FIDO is an alliance of companies that are creating open standards for developing better authentication practices through biometrics, tokenization, and two-factor protocols.
- Secure payments. With banks being among the many institutions hacked in 2014, President Obama will want to focus on developing a way to keep consumers’ money safe.
- Information sharing. There is currently no default information-sharing organization where businesses can compare notes on attacks. But there are a few organizations out there that do this, like the Retail Cyber Intelligence Sharing Network, which is contributed to by American Eagle Outfitters, Gap, J. C. Penney Company, Lowe’s Companies, Nike, Safeway, Target, and Walgreens. However, the president may discuss a way to connect these various organizations together, to make information sharing more effective in combating cyber threats.
For more information about tomorrow’s event, head here. If you want a sense of Obama’s agenda, check out this Jan. 13 speech on cybersecurity.
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform
- networking features, and more