Did you miss a session from GamesBeat Summit 2022? All sessions are available to stream now. Watch now.
In addition to new Chromebooks for $149, Google today also unveiled new Chrome OS form factors, in partnership with Asus. The first is a convertible laptop-tablet called the Chromebook Flip, and the second is an HDMI dongle called the Chromebit.
Price at $249, the Chromebook Flip will be available for sale in the Google Store at some point this spring.
Here are the specs for the Asus Chromebook Flip:
- Weight: less than 2 lbs
- Screen: 10.1″ IPS display
- Processor, Memory, and Storage: Rockchip 3288 2GB RAM with 16GB eMMC or Rockchip 3288 with 4GB RAM, 16GB SSD
- Battery: Up to 10 hours of battery life
- Inputs: Chrome keyboard, trackpad
- Ports and Connectors: 2 USB 2.0 Standard A ports, SD Card Reader, headphone/mic combo, HDMI
- Camera: 720P HD
- Wireless: 802.11ac (supports a/b/g/n/ac), 2.4 and 5ghz, 2×2 spatial streams, Bluetooth 4.0 BR/EDR/LE, Smart Ready controller
- Audio: High power stereo speakers, built-in microphone, headphone/mic combo
- Graphics: ARM Mali 760 quad core GPU
More details, like dimensions, exact weight, and battery life, are still up in the air. Google did tell VentureBeat, however, that the Flip is expected to be no thicker than 15mm.
Priced at under $100, the Chromebit is described by Google as “smaller than a candy bar but bigger than a memory stick.” Inside is a full computer, though you’ll have to plug it into an HDMI port to use it.
In short, the device is supposed to turn any display into a Chrome OS computer. You’ll still need all your peripherals, so Google expects it will be more useful as an upgrade for existing desktops in schools and businesses.
Think of it as a Chrome OS trojan horse. Details are scarce for the Chromebit as Google and Asus are still ironing out the specifics, though we do know it has the same processor, memory, and wireless options as the lower-end Chromebook Flip and the $149 Chromebooks announced today.
VentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative enterprise technology and transact. Learn more about membership.