Microsoft today revamped Bing Image Search with a new design that also adds a slew of new features.
The new experience is rolling out on Bing.com for PCs, tablets, and smartphones. Bing’s iPhone and Android apps will also be getting an update “over the coming weeks.”
When you search for images using Bing and choose a picture, you can scroll or swipe up to get useful and interesting information, redirect your search, or get help. Bing now lets you buy something that caught your eye, learn more about a historical figure, or find out where a given image was taken.
More specifically, Bing Image Search now shows you the following when you click or tap on an image:
- Places to buy the product: This is still in beta, but for some product images Bing can now show you where to buy the item.
- Related searches based on the image: Discover more images like the one you already found.
- Pinterest collections: Locate other images pinned by people who also loved and pinned this one. Support for other sites will be added “over time.”
- More sizes: Bing will find bigger and smaller versions of the image available from across the web.
- Pages with this image: If you need more information or want to take action related to the image, Bing will try to find you relevant sites. If the image is of food, one of these pages might contain a recipe. If the image is a location, the page may have more travel information.
Most of these features already exist in Bing; the difference is they’re getting more emphasis now. As for the first point, those who run shopping sites can learn more here about the site tags they need to use for their images to be surfaced correctly.
Microsoft said all of the above is the result of studying image search behavior that concluded the Bing team needs “to put images at the heart of search.”
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more