A surprise awaits any player who logs into World of Warships this weekend: space.
The multiplayer online naval battle game (it’s in closed beta now) has slapped space themes on a few ships — including plastering the Yamato battleship class in a Space Battleship Yamato skin.
I thought it was a bug at first when I logged in, but it turns out this is a play on publisher Wargaming’s April Fools’ Day joke about “changing course” with World of Warships. It incorporates names and looks from Space Battleship Yamato, a groundbreaking Japanese sci-fi anime, Star Trek, and Firefly.
Here’s a look at a few of the ship skins and one round of combat in which my Yamato fought against a bunch of space cruisers and battleships — and had a weird encounter.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties