A new GamesBeat event is around the corner! Learn more about what comes next.
Google released its monthly update to the Platform Versions page for Android today, and once again the latest version has increased its adoption share. Android Lollipop has not only passed the 10 percent mark, it was the only Android version to gain adoption share.
As with any updates courtesy of the Platform Versions tool, we have to point out that the data is gathered from the Google Play Store app, which requires Android 2.2 and above. This means devices running older versions are not included, nor are devices that don’t have Google Play installed (many Android phones and tablets in China, Amazon’s Fire line, and so on).
Here are the changes between May and June:
- Android 5.0/5.1 Lollipop (November 2014, March 2015): Up 2.7 points to 12.4 percent
- Android 4.4 KitKat (October 2013): Up 0.6 points to 39.2 percent
- Android 4.1/4.2/4.3 Jelly Bean (July 2012, November 2012, and July 2013): Down 1.8 points to 37.4 percent
- Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (December 2011): Down 0.2 points to 5.3 percent
- Android 2.3 Gingerbread (December 2010): Down 0.1 points to 5.6 percent
- Android 2.2 Froyo (May 2010): Unchanged at 0.3 percent
For the sake of comparison, here’s the Android adoption chart for May:
The Android adoption order has remained unchanged. We still have KitKat in first place, Jelly Bean in second, Lollipop in third, Gingerbread in fourth, ICS in fifth, and Froyo in sixth. It will be a long time before Lollipop takes first place, or even second for that matter.
As we’ve said before, Lollipop’s slow start is not surprising, given the lukewarm popularity of the Nexus line and how long it takes for Android device manufacturers to push out updates. Still, its number should continue to rise as the latest flagship devices from Samsung, LG, and HTC arrive.
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more