Micro-blogging platform Tumblr has always touted its super creative community as one of the most important components of its platform. Today, it’s giving users one more way to connect with each other.
Tumblr is launching a question-and-answer session similar to Reddit’s Ask Me Anything, called Answer Time. The blogging site will post a listing of various Answer Time sessions here. Its June lineup already includes pop-punk band Fall Out Boy and Tumblr founder David Karp. At the appointed time, users will be able to go directly to that celebrity’s Tumblr page and submit questions live. Tumblr says it will host musicians, artists, actors, politicians, and other high-profile Internet personalities in its forum.
Those invited to answer questions will activate “Ask Boxes” on their Tumblr page two days ahead of their session, so that users have time to get questions in. Answers can be reblogged around the platform.
It’s interesting to see Tumblr take notes from Reddit, which has long championed the live question-and-answer format, bringing together its community members with everyone from Tim Berners-Lee to the founders of startup Rap Genius (now just Genius). But as Tumblr grows its audience, it’s going to need to build new ways to keep users roped into the platform. In Q1 of this year, Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer boasted the blog platform had 460 million users.
Here’s the upcoming schedule.
- Ask Fall Out Boy (falloutboy), they’ll answer on June 8 at 3 p.m.
- Ask Vic Mensa (cakemensa), he’ll answer on June 9 at 5 p.m.
- Ask Molly McAleer (molls), she’ll answer on June 11 at 5 p.m.
- Ask Cecile Richards (ppaction), she’ll answer on June 12 at 12 noon
- Ask David Karp (david), he’ll answer on June 16 at 2 p.m.
VentureBeatVentureBeat's mission is to be a digital town square for technical decision-makers to gain knowledge about transformative technology and transact. Our site delivers essential information on data technologies and strategies to guide you as you lead your organizations. We invite you to become a member of our community, to access:
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more