Join gaming leaders online at GamesBeat Summit Next this upcoming November 9-10. Learn more about what comes next.
Oculus announced a $10 million fund this morning to encourage the development of independent games for its virtual reality platform, set to release Q1 2016. This move will entice indie developers to bring new and interesting experiences to VR, and it could help the Facebook-owned company get a leg up on competitors in the space with exclusive titles.
Anna Sweet, head of developer strategy, said that Oculus wants a future where anyone can be a creator. The company hopes that this fund will support the growing crowd of gamers and developers.
And most of you will likely play these games on the Xbox One controller that’s coming with each Oculus Rift.
GamesBeatGamesBeat's creed when covering the game industry is "where passion meets business." What does this mean? We want to tell you how the news matters to you -- not just as a decision-maker at a game studio, but also as a fan of games. Whether you read our articles, listen to our podcasts, or watch our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy engaging with it. How will you do that? Membership includes access to:
- Newsletters, such as DeanBeat
- The wonderful, educational, and fun speakers at our events
- Networking opportunities
- Special members-only interviews, chats, and "open office" events with GamesBeat staff
- Chatting with community members, GamesBeat staff, and other guests in our Discord
- And maybe even a fun prize or two
- Introductions to like-minded parties